Sunday 19 June 2011

Cupcakes Traditional vs. Contemporary

I've been thinking about which I prefer in the cupcake stakes and I think it boils down to two types, traditional (i.e. pretty) and contemporary (a bit different) My repertoire has taken most forms, mostly whatever takes my fancy for bake sales and village fairs and then exactly what people want for celebration cakes. What I want to know is, which do people prefer?!

VS.

When it comes to the type of cupcake, I have found a good chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting goes down very well. But! Of course, a cupcake which looks appealing is important too.

 I'm torn, because you get the likes of Hello, Cupcake! who were one of the original ambassadors for the weird and wonderful cupcakes, like the corn on the cob feast for the eyes (above) and the trend at the moment, which is the traditional tea party style. Florals, intricate hand piped patterns require a degree of skill, which I admire, but the funky and head-turning cupcakes seem to be great for the male audience, great for kids and add more colour to the table.

I made these baby cupcakes for an nct picnic

And these Elvis cupcakes got some great comments but weren't as popular as...

Chocolate with a rose or...
hand piped mini cakes!

I asked some friends and the general opinion is that taste is paramount. You can make an OK looking cupcake but if it has a soft, sponge with delicate sweet topping, people are happy. There's nothing worse than seeing a beautiful cupcake and it tasting average. I find this with most supermarket tray bakes and mass-produced cakes. This must be down to quality of ingredients. Free range eggs and god flour make a difference.

Strangely, some comments I have had, such as "they look like ornaments" or some say soaps, even, because they are very neat looking. I sometimes wonder if a more handmade style would appeal more. But I'm aiming for a bit of perfection for your eyes and your tongue!

I'm happy to compromise if it means a good cause gets a look-in. Hosting a bake sale for kids who are affected by cancer is a fab idea. Here's a link to their downloadable marketing pack:
httpwww.cupcakesforacause.orgbakesalebakesale_toolkit.pdf

But I think, after all my research, a mix of the traditional and modern wins every time.
Tiffany ringbox mini cake
Peggy's cupcakes on notonthehighstreet.com

Notonthehighstreet is another blog for another day. Is it worth the charges? What do the charges cover and what is the benefit over having your own website?

No comments:

Post a Comment