Sunday 24 July 2011

Wedding Cake Finished

I completed the Oxford School of Sugarcraft's Tiered Wedding Cake course a few weekends ago and decided that, since it was for a two tiered cake, I would add a third tier to make it more 'wedding-y'. There wasn't the time, during the two days, to learn to stack and decorate weddings cakes AND add the third tier, so I did it at home.



My work in progress - after day one of the course. The covering of the cake was tricky but I learned some excellent tips from Paddie Clarke. She's been in the cake deocrating bisiness "For a thousand years" so she's bound to have a few good hints. Like, for example, some people with small congrigations may choose to have a few 'dummy' tiers just for decoration, to get the WOW factor, but to keep costs down. Something I'll be offering my customers.


I used the example from Paddie, which is an oriental style decoration with overlapping blossom shapes on a tree-like design. The colours are simple and subtle, with green as the accent colour.

The design goes across the top tier, trailing all the way down in a draped, natural way, flowing all the way down over the board covering, with butterflies to add a delecate eye catching element to the cake. I don't like too many butterflies on cakes as you don't see more than three together in nature.



The finished article

As I added the final tier, I remembered how much fun it was to create the other two tiers! I can't wait to get going on some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment